Satellite
  • Day 26

    San Martino. North Sicily

    June 6, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    It was a long and enjoyable ride across the foot of Italy followed by a busy ferry ride to Sicily. I renewed to buy my ticket from a petrol station out of town which is cheaper than at the ferry. There were some nice views today but I didn't take photos until I arrived at the Villa Quiete up in the hills.
    My sat nav decided it would put me and the bike to the test in the last half hour of the ride when it took me up farm tracks so steep that could only be taken at speed in first gear. I checked the settings when I arrived at the Villa which had an easy single track road from the other direction. It was set to use unpaved tracks. The bike was great. I thought it would feel really heavy but it was more like a trail bike as it easily skipped over the bumps and holes and slithered down the valley, I enjoyed it.
    I don't think my photos can do justice to the views up here it is spectacular. My room looks directly at the volcano Stromboli and a walk around the back of the house to see another called Etna.
    I've had to change my plans for the next days and not tour as the only ferry company operating to Malta is fully booked every sailing except tomorrow Friday night 9.30pm so I've booked myself on it. I might pop into Noto on the way for a look. I can always spend time on the way back instead.
    Read more