Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22–25

    Puno & Lake Titicaca Homestay

    April 25 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    The first day was mostly spent travelling on a bus from Cusco to Puno. It was the most comfortable bus we've been on, and it felt like a business flight.
    Once we arrived in Puno, we spent some time exploring the town square and went for a night walk after dinner.

    On the second day, we were on our way to our local homestays. We started by visiting one of the local floating islands, which were made by small communities who were driven away from their homes on the mainland to live on Lake Titicaca. The islands are cleverly built by using a base made up of blocks of the local reeds root systems tied together, which have properties like cork. They then maintain a bed level of reeds to make the island dry and habitable.
    Once we got to the local village, home of the Llachon community, we met our host, the lovely Mama Provencia, who made a generous lunch for us. We then spent the afternoon assisting her with shelling the corn, which was a range of beautiful colous, an amazing sight. The afternoon jobs were followed by some competitive games of volleyball with the locals.
    In the evening, we assisted with preparing dinner by peeling and cutting the vegetables whilst dressed up in the local garments.

    On our third day, we woke up and said goodbye to Mama Provencia before heading off to explore more of Lake Titicaca. We then landed on Tequile Island to explore and watch some traditional dances. Afterwards, the few who were brave enough went for a swim in Lake Titicacas frigid waters, which was very refreshing. The day was wrapped up with dinner and drinks where we said goodbye to our first friend to leave the trip.
    Read more