Satellite
  • Day 13

    Last Day in Spain

    June 28, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Another early morning walk. The city was still sleeping on Monday morning. As was Joe. But I made it back up the hill to the castle for my last views down on the city and the Alcazaba.

    There were only two things on the agenda. Picasso museum snd grandkids t-shirts. Why didn’t I get them earlier? Many of the touristy souvenir shops seem to be closed.

    Today is really the first hot day we’ve had. High in lower 90s. Till now, nights and early mornings have been sweater weather, so we are very grateful. I think our laziness today is a combination of heat and tourism saturation. Between 11 and 5 we spent a total of about three and a half hours sitting in different cafes!

    The Picasso museum is in a beautiful old residence and everything is very nicely displayed. Our guidebook says it houses all of Picasso’s “unsaleable stuff.” I thought anything by Picasso would be sale-able. I especially liked his sculpture of a warrior’s head —it reminded me of a 700 BC Phoenician helmet I had seen in the Malaga Museum.

    I am tired of restaurants. Home tomorrow. Usually I don’t write anything about our travel day home, but I know some of my friends are very interested to see how re-entry to the US goes. Going through immigration in Chicago is usually unpleasant even without Covid. So I don’t have much hope for a painless process.
    Read more