Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Cape Town

    April 6, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    After our 24hours whirl wind tour of the wine lands, we set off with heavy heads to explore the surroundings of Cape Town.

    We headed along the False Bay coast and followed the smell of seaweed to Muizenberg, where we finally got a chance to wiggle our toes in the sand and freeze our feet in the Atlantic. We continued towards Cape Town along Chapman’s peak drive (arguably one of the most scenic drives in the world).

    We had been recommended to do a sunset sail trip from Cape Town and while we weren’t totally sold in the idea, decided to give it a go. It turned out to be an amazing idea and we spent the evening sailing around the bay on a catamaran watching the sun set over table mountain and the city.

    Tuesday was a big day! We hiked to the cable car at the top of Table Mountain from Kirstenbosch via Skeleton George. Not an easy walk, especially seeing as Nicola had twisted her ankle and was hopping along in a brace. The views were amazing and absolutely worth the sweat and sunburn. Nicola would like to make a special mention to the abundance of cool rocks and native flowers, especially the giant protea.

    On Wednesday we traded our hiking boots for fins and spent the morning snorkelling with a colony of cape fur seals in Houtbay. They are such funny and inquisitive creatures, definitely the dogs of the ocean (strong Labrador pup vibes). We finished the day with a beer paddle and fish and chips by the sea plus a quick stop in colourful Bo-Kaap.

    Thursday was our last morning in Cape Town and we started the day by racing the sun to the top of Lions Head. We had the light of the full moon to guide the way and made it to the top via chains and ladders just in time to see the sun rise. The sun, the moon, the clouds and the mountains… I’m still not sure it was real.
    Read more