Satellite
  • Day 46

    A cheerful cemetery

    July 14, 2020 in Romania ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Our first attraction today was a visit of the "Cheerful Cemetery". It's basically a cemetery, but a little bit different than others. Every dead person receives a wooden gravestone picturing the reason for the death. There's also a very short funny story under each picture. But as it was in Romanian, we couldn't understand it.
    Afterwards, we first cycled some kilometres on a busy main road passing some communist monuments before we could turn into a smaller valley road. The valley itself was very nice. Beautiful landscape and uncountable churches and monasteries. We stopped at Barsana Monastery, a real gem that reminded us of the monasteries in Nepal. We also had our lunchstop here and tried some Romanian fast food which tasted good.
    Today's ride itself was really slow. We had to go continuously uphill, were confronted with a slight headwind and the road conditions were bad. Overall, no good conditions for a fast day. In the end, Herbert even got a flat rear tyre again (the first on the European part of our trip). The quick fix at the side of the road wasn't too stable, so we had to stop every 20 minutes to pump it up again. However, we made it to another backyard campsite where Herbert could properly repair it.
    Read more