Satellite
  • Day 86

    Plovdiv

    August 23, 2020 in Bulgaria ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    As we already arrived in Plovdiv last night, we had a whole day to explore the city. And for the first time in ages, we had a bit of a sleep in before we started our walking tour.
    First, we climbed up to Alyosha monument where we had a great view over the city and its surroundings. Even at 9am, it was extremely hot at only 200m above sea level.
    Afterwards, we spent time exploring the city center with the Roman stadium and the Kapana area. Kapana is the artist quarter of Plovdiv, lots of streetart, little boutiques, shops and stalls and full of cafés, bars and restaurant. It was fun just walking through the little streets and watching the people. In Plovdiv, life feels normal, not many signs of the pandemic.
    After Kapana, we visited the ancient part of the city. It's located on a hill, so sitting in the Roman theatre gives you a view of the surroundings. There's also old churches and houses to see.
    Before heading back to our guesthouse, we stopped on the main shopping street for some icecream and went for a stroll through the Garden of Tsar Simeon, a nice park with a huge fountain. Kids and their parents definitely had fun playing in the water to cool down in the heat.
    Read more