Satellite
  • Day 148

    Leaving the mountains and "Kurdistan"

    October 24, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    The wind usually comes from Southwestern directions in this regions - so exactly where we are heading to. Therefore, we left our campspot with the very first light when the wind is not that strong yet.
    We stopped for breakfast after 40km and again after about 70km, just before the only big climb for today. Some guys at a bakery had invited us for tea here which was perfect timing.
    Climbing up the hill was relatively fast and not too hard. 2 guys from Ankara stopped for a chat, a video and photos as they were impressed by our tour.
    Once at the top, the rest of our trip was mainly downhill - against the wind though. The scenery had changed a lot: The mountains on this side are fully covered in trees. What a difference compared to the dry mountains we had been seeing in the past days. The majority of the people here is also mainly Turkish, so we are out of "Kurdistan" again.
    We arrived in Osmaniye where Savaş, the president of the local cycling club, welcomed us. We can sleep in the club house. He also cooked a local dish for dinner and brought it to the club house for us. Some of his cycling friends also came by for tea and a chat, so we had a nice evening together.
    Read more