Satellite
  • Day 21

    Rotorua halfmarathon

    November 27, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Doing a half marathon out of a camper van, kinda wack, Roedolf finishing a half marathon, totally crazy. This is a life event. I went à la naturale and experimented with beetroot as pre race food. Something that Bonnie inspired me to do. Since I was not chasing PB's today, I decided to give it a shot without trying it in training. Today is about fun and experiencing the NZ running community.

    The huge local Maori's performed the haka before the 21 & got us all pumped up. We ran through the historic town, the 100 year old redwood forest & the natural geothermal area (with a bit of a rotten eggy odour). I got a huge kick from the different terrains of the race, have to say the bit on the golf course was my least favorite, the grass really slowed me down. I felt strong on the trial in the forest. I passed the 10km mark at 54minutes. When I got tired, I just imagined how tired he was, never covering this distance before. I am amazed how our bodies obey when our minds entertain powerful and positive thoughts.

    Today was half no11 for me, every time it gets easier. The distance is not an unknown territory for my body or mind anymore, I know where to push, drop a gear or just hang onto my breathing. The sense of accomplishment battling through the last couple of miles today gave me a confidence boost to pursue bigger things.

    It was a big highlight of our trip to see Roedolf smiling ear to ear when he crossed the finish line. I was so lucky to be at the right place at the right time to capture this. I am incredibly proud of him doing this in such a good time.

    {Issy}
    Read more