Satellite
  • Day 6

    Cycling Phnom Penh

    January 30, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    The hotel offered free cycles, naturally Isabel and I went for a cycle through town to the Royal Palace.

    The bikes were clearly designed for asian people which is more Isabel's size, and I was a sight for sore eyes on this bicycle.

    This was also our first taste of actually driving on the roads here as most of the time there are no sidewalks or bike lanes, so you just have to brave the traffic. Funnily enough you just go and ring your bell as you go and no one seem to run into you. Its really amazing that there is this understanding on the roads to avoid each other even if there really are no rules.

    {Roedolf}

    It was pretty quiet at around 10, but our drive back at noon was terrifying I would be stuck in a traffic jam and can't see Roedolf, who is miles in front of me. The traffic on our way back around the Independence monument is pretty similar to that of the arc the triumph and that on a bike is a matter of commitment and faith. I constantly thought what I am doing? And then I pie myself that its ok and at least we have good travel insurance. The fact that we stayed out till 2am after minimal sleep the previous night on our bus journey, didn't exactly contribute the best cycle ever, but we managed to soak up the atmosphere, see the Royal palace & have loads of fun. Everything is pretty much an adventure in Cambodia.

    {Issy}
    Read more