Satellite
  • Day 7

    Day 7: Relaxing in Gili T

    June 22, 2016 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Today we decided to check out the rest of the island, so after a hotel breakfast we loaded up with two rental bikes, fins and snorkels and set off to ride around the perimeter of the island. Although still not very far, it was definitely further than either of us realised!

    First stop was a beach on the northern coast where we had a brief swim (not much happening here and got a few bites from sea lice), then continued on down the western coast and back up to the main town. Decided to just park ourselves on the beach chairs in front of our hotel and do some snorkeling. The water was super clear and with great visibility, lots of marine life though we didn't see any of the turtles which live nearby. Maybe tomorrow!

    Had lunch from the hotel restaurant who were happy to serve us out on the beach, and spent most of the day in and out of the water and watching the world go by. At 4pm Shandos said that she'd like to do the sunset yoga at a place back over on the western coast that we'd seen earlier in the day, so back on our bikes we got and rode back over to the sunset coast. Shandos did her yoga and I spent the hour watching the sun go down and checking that the nearby bar's Bintang supply was up to scratch. Happy to report that all was in order.

    Back to the main town area we rode, dodging pedestrians and horse carts all the while! Settled on a cheap place for dinner that Shandos had seen on one of our trips past - iced tea, beer, beef rendang and a spaghetti dish all for $11! Probably our cheapest meal so far. So we splurged on the way back and bought a freshly-made Nutella crepe from the vendor cart hanging around near the mosque.

    Last step before turning in was purchasing snorkel boat tickets for tomorrow - they do a three island trip as standard for $10/pp which takes most of the day to visit various sites around Gili T, Gili Meno and Gili Air. Looking forward to that!
    Read more