Satellite
  • Day 108

    Day 108: Grand Prix Qualifying

    October 1, 2016 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Another day out at the track. Decided to arrive earlier than yesterday to catch the third Formula 1 practice session, ahead of the qualifying session late in the day. On the train by 10am and arrived at our seats around 11:30, just in time for the session. Great fun watching the cars again, though nothing of any particular note happened during the session.

    Had a chicken roll for lunch which was OK, but decided to skip on the beers. Watched a GP2 race with some good action happening, followed by a touring car race featuring race versions of large-ish hatchback cars (Volkswagen Golf, Honda Civic etc). Really good racing action here since the margins for error are a lot wider, meaning that cars trade positions much more frequently. Also one of them had an engine explosion on the starting grid which was pretty funny.

    It was a long hot afternoon, though not quite as warm as the previous day. Finally at 5pm it was time for Formula 1 qualifying, and the cars absolutely flew around the track. Australia's Daniel Ricciardo set the early pace with a quick time, but ultimately ended up fourth on the grid behind the Mercedes of Hamilton and Rosberg, and Vettel's Ferrari.

    Left the track around 6:15 on the long journey back to Kuala Lumpur, and stopped in again at the food court for dinner.
    Read more