Satellite
  • Day 70

    Day 70: Exploring Barcelona

    April 26, 2017 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    Woke up to find an overcast, rainy city hidden outside our brick windows. We discovered this when taking Schnitzel out for his morning business! After a bit of deliberation we decided to catch the metro to the Eixample district where a lot of the early 20th century stuff is and have a look around.

    Schnitzel came too, and had his first non-carrybag ride in a subway train! He got carried the whole way and seemed a bit scared, though he was also sulking because he had to wear his muzzle. Downtown we had a look at a few things, including the Palau de la Musica Catalan and a nearby Gaudi house, but with the drizzle it wasn't super pleasant or conducive to good photos/videos.

    Stopped for a coffee and a snack in a dog-friendly cafe where Schnitzel sat on our laps very patiently while we shared a small plate of vegetarian nachos. Wandered over to La Rambla which is the main shopping boulevard in the city. Very crowded with tourists despite the rain. Ducked into a large marketplace where lots of stuff was happening, again very crowded but we tried a few things for lunch including a small box of noodles from a Korean stall, a beef burrito, and a juice. We also managed to get a chicken neck for Schnitzel from one of the butcher's stalls inside, which the lady gave to us free of charge! He wolfed it down as usual, first time he's had a chicken neck since we left Australia!

    Continued walking down La Rambla until we eventually arrived at the waterfront where not a lot was happening. There's a large shopping centre on a pier in the bay, but neither of us felt that inclined to visit since it all felt a bit Darling Harbour. Wandered around a little more before we jumped on the subway to head back. Schnitzel was brave enough this time to go on the floor, but still cowered between Shandos's feet.

    Relaxed in the apartment for a while, and I went out to a nearby hipster barber shop for a long overdue haircut. Still raining steadily into the evening as I wandered a few streets looking for some toiletry supplies. Partly successful in my mission, but I also managed to find an excellent cake shop selling Oreo brownies and delicious choc-chip cookies. Lots of cool shops in our area which is quite nice. Big contrast from the apartment!

    Stayed in for dinner as neither of us felt like venturing out, and had a pair of Spanish tortillas for dinner.
    Read more