Satellite
  • Day 123

    Day 123: Exploring Edinburgh

    June 18, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Lots to do today! We got up fairly early and headed out into the city, intending to explore as much as we could, and hopefully get most of the filming done for the UNESCO video. First stop was the Palace of Holyrood House, only about five minutes walk from our apartment. This is the oldest continually-operating royal palace in the world (I think, the record had multiple qualifiers attached), and the Queen still spends the first week of summer there every year. Unfortunately for us, that's next week, not this week.

    Entry price was quite steep so we decided to skip (not that Schnitzel would've been allowed in), and headed into the city. The centre of Edinburgh is divided into two distinct sections: the Old Town, roughly the old medieval city that runs for a couple of blocks either side of the Royal Mile between Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyrood. There's also the New Town, just to the north of this where there's lots of old Georgian and neo-classical buildings, essentially the home to the Scottish Enlightenment of the 18th century.

    We headed firstly into the Old Town, wandering slowly up the Royal Mile which slopes gradually up a long ridge line to the castle. Lots to see here and it's all very pretty; most of the buildings from the 16th or so century, though some are older and some younger. Lots of history here, but also lots of souvenir shops, "traditional" kiltmakers and general tourist tat.

    Made it up to the castle but again Schnitzel wouldn't be allowed inside, and we'd planned to come back tomorrow. The esplanade in front of the castle was mostly covered with temporary grandstand seating for the Tattoo which takes place in late August - Shandos's parents are coming over for it.

    We stopped briefly for lunch at a shop selling pulled pork rolls (delicious!), before wandering down off the castle mount and into the New Town. Lots of people down here as it was warm and sunny, and there's quite a bit of parkland as well. We walked around for the next couple of hours, enjoying the atmosphere and checking out the buildings as well as the buskers and other colourful locals.

    There was a large pipe band championship happening in the outdoor amphitheatre which I quite enjoyed as I don't mind the sound of bagpipes. Not that I could tell you who was better than anyone else, particularly when they're almost all playing various interpretations of Scotland The Brave! We lay in the park for a while enjoying the atmosphere.

    Wandered again through the New Town and spent an hour or so in a pub having a drink, mainly to escape the heat. It's funny because it's only 23 or so degrees, and I'd worn my shorts thankfully, but it just "feels" hotter than 23 degrees would feel in Australia. Which makes no sense since temperature isn't subjective, but there you go.

    Eventually we decided for dinner to head back up into the Old Town to a particular pub we'd seen: the Tollbooth. This pub was right on the main road where the old city gates had once stood, where people entering and exiting had to pay the toll. Very old and atmospheric. Had a mercifully cold pint and some food, and thankfully most of the crowds in the old town had gone home by now, as it was mostly deserted.

    Sated, we embarked on the long walk home. The only stop was at a fish & chip shop, where I indulged in a Scottish delicacy: the deep-fried Mars Bar. It was excellent, though I'm not sure I'll ever have another one!
    Read more