Satellite
  • Day 226

    Day 227: Final Bled Exploration

    September 29, 2017 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Last day in Lake Bled! Nice weather today so we finally decided to take a boat out to the island in the centre of the lake. 14 euros each which was a bit pricey, but at least Schnitzel was free! Just us and an older American couple on the boat so we had a nice little chat to them, they were fairly well-travelled as well which was good.

    The island itself was a slight let-down, as there isn't much there besides the church, a cafe and a souvenir shop. We couldn't go in the church on account of Schnitzel, so we had a coffee in the sun and just enjoyed the atmosphere. The island is very small, only a couple of minutes to walk the perimeter, so we did a lap and by then it was time to get back on the boat.

    Rode back to the wharf near our apartment where we walked back to the car and then drove up to the castle overlooking the lake. Entry was a bit steep again at 10 euros, but the museum and stuff was moderately interesting. Unbeatable views!

    Had a small lunch on the walls overlooking the lake, then had a look around at all the various aspects of the castle. Museum, church, crypt, towers and battlements. A few other interesting things too like a wine cellar, printing works and a blacksmith though these were mostly just selling souvenirs.

    Back to the apartment for the afternoon where we chilled out, then drove around the lake in the evening for one last dinner with Shandos's parents. Chatted away with them into the evening until it was finally time to say goodbye. Not sure when we'll see them again, could be quite a while!
    Read more