Satellite
  • Day 306

    Day 307: North-east to Ulm

    December 18, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 0 °C

    Into the closing stages of our Germany trip now, and it's been quite a long one! Left the apartment in Heidelberg around 10am, grabbed a train to Stuttgart where we arrived around midday and bought some lunch. Changed platforms, then caught a 90 minute train over to Ulm, a fairly small city about halfway between Stuttgart and Nuremberg.

    We were staying in a hotel, so despite arriving around 1:30pm, we were able to check in which was nice. Room nothing special, just a typical cheap Hotel Ibis room. Relaxed for a little while before heading into the centre of town.

    Ulm actually boasts the world's tallest church (until it'll eventually get surpassed by Sagrada Familia in Barcelona), and has done since around 1890 when it claimed the title from Cologne Cathedral. Certainly very tall and impressive.

    The Christmas market was in full swing out the front so we had a look through here as well, in addition to going one-by-one through the minster (not a cathedral, as it isn't the seat of a bishop). It was actually a really good market, plenty of space, interesting stalls, and some good attractions for kids like model train sets, a petting zoo, and a mini train ride! Seemed to only be locals around as well, which was a nice change from hearing constant Yank accents in the markets.

    Hung around for a couple of hours until it started getting dark and we headed back to our room where we stayed the rest of the day.
    Read more