Satellite
  • Day 27

    Back to Indonesia

    July 25, 2019 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    And so endeth the whirlwind visit to Malaysia. Had a quick breakfast and walked back to the train station where we caught our pre-booked train back to Kuala Lumpur. As expected, it sat motionless for around an hour in roughly the same spot as a night earlier, but thankfully it wasn't an outrageous delay this time and we were soon moving again. Arrived at KL Sentral where we grabbed a quick snack of roti and then got the coach out to the airport.

    Loads of time before the flight which was nice, so we had a relaxing lunch of laksa and then headed to the gate. Longer flight than we remembered, about 2.5 hours plus we lost an hour due to time zone changes. So it was 5:30pm and getting dark when we arrived in Yogyakarta. It's just a small airport despite being a large city, so we breezed through and started figuring out transport options.

    There was a Czech guy nearby also looking for the bus to the city (taxi guys want $10 for the ride while the bus is about 50 cents), and by coincidence he happened to be staying at the same hostel! After a few discussions with locals we found the bus, boarded and made it to the centre of Jogja. The hostel was easy enough to find so we checked in, dropped our bags, and then headed out for food.

    As we remembered, street food is super cheap here. Ended up just having some nasi goreng (fried rice) and a few satay skewers, total cost for three of us was about $6. Not bad!
    Read more