Satellite
  • Day 2

    Day 2 - The Lleyn penisula !

    August 10, 2020 in Wales ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Bore Da ! ....S’mae?

    It’s grey but still warm with some possible thunder and rain later ! .
    We skirt the mountains , pass Conway and Caernarfon Castles and track down the north coast .
    Today Luna gets to discover the beach and the sea and squeaking sand !The National Trust beach of Whistling Sands at Porthor was once an important port. Lying at the north-western tip of the Lleyn Peninsula. The sandy beach is backed by banks of sand and boulder clay, becoming rocky towards the northern end. But the sand on this beach consists of rounded grains of quartz which under dry conditions make a squeaky sound when you walk on it- hence the name Whistling Sands. ( Today not as impressive as National Seashore in USA - Seaside and home of Truman Show). Well today ... no dogs are allowed on beach , there is little wind so no whistling , it drizzled so it’s not dry ! Bah! However it’s empty apart from a few diehards in wetsuits! A socially distanced beach !

    We make for Abersoch harbour , originally a fishing port now sadly more sailing craft along with some expensive colourful beach huts but it’s busy and it’s now raining so we pass through!

    We pass by David Lloyd-George ‘s village of Llanystumdwy...,and his resting place and take a brief walk by the river !

    Criccieth and it’s castle from 13th C - built by Welsh prince Llewelyn the Great - commands Tremadog Bay. The Cambrian coast railway helped Victorian tourism boom here . The Castle ( covid closed ) is impressive on the hill ! We walk and sample the famous Cadwaladers ice cream !

    It’s home for beer and just we do it’s thunder and lightning!
    Read more