Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Day 1 - Colwyn Bay !

    August 9, 2020 in Wales ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    It’s a first road trip and away from home for Luna .
    We hit the road north , M6 and dogleg M54 /A5 to North Wales and emerge in the bustling commercialism of Llandudno and it’s Pier, built in 1877....it’s very long ! It’s traditional British seaside culture with its amusement
    stalls, fairground rides and kiss-me-quick hats.....and lots of not so socially distanced holiday makers !
    So for our sake and Luna’s .... we skip the famous Tram Way and its crowds and drive the coastal route up the Great Ormes Head , the large rocky headland above town , for a wander and the views
    ! The sun is out and there’s a nice breeze ! Big gulls ! A great view over to Anglesey! A quirky lighthouse ! A great view of the Conway estuary and the castle on the distance ! Also the end of the tramway .... a white palace in the distance ! Its the Welsh heritage coast so what should we do ....keep it tidy ! Or is that bang tidy ?
    What is an Orme ? ( post note Great and Little Ormes Heads comes from Old Norse words urm or orm that mean sea serpent . One explanation is that the Great Orme is the head, with its body being the land between the Great and Little Ormes, whilst another, possibly more likely, is that the shape of the Great Orme viewed as one enters the isthmus of Llandudno from the SE landward end resembles a giant sleeping creature).

    We back track to Colwyn Bay and its Victoria Pier - derelict since 2008, but a Grade II listed structure built in 1900.

    Then we head for the cottage which is 2 miles inland ...all signal goes ...we are lost ! We’re next to the Cathedral of the Hill ! It’s actually just an odd Church ! We call for directions ! We Arrive! The dog is happy , the cottage is spacious and quiet ! Time for a beer and a wine ! Wait a minute ....that’s a table football table !!!! Where’s my daughter ?
    Read more