Satellite
  • Day 15

    Lake Pukaki

    February 19, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    After dropping Alex we back tracked to the Church on the Lake. This Church was right on the edge of Lake Tekapo. It was a quirky little Church with a great view towards the front of the church. We got a few snaps however it made with hard with a hundred asians running around the place. After a quick look at the Church we walked over to the bridge the view here was also amazing. After that Alex had told us a place called Mt John Observatory and highly recommended it so we headed there next as it was close to the Church. The Observation was a steep drive but before we knew it we where on top of the mountain, it was Amazing. You could see all the surrounding mountains and Lake Tekapo. After some awesome pics we headed back down. We continued on to Lake Pukaki where we drove down Mount Cook for about half an hour. We had planned to drive down this road to see the highest mountain in the Southern Hemestpher however due to the fog we couldn't see anything. This Lake was also Amazing!!! The views where incredible. We had driven past 2 lookout points and still couldnt see the Mountian so we decided to turn around.

    By this stage it was getting late and we really wanted a hot shower because it was so cold. We had a look and the only one we could see was in a place called Hot Tubs Omarama. After some uming and arrhing we decided to do it for $50. We had an hour and a half in a circle tub with was heated by logs and fire under the tub. After about an hour we hopped out and showered. We then headed back Highway 83 then onto 82. On the way Amanda nearlly hit 2 very big cows that appeared as if they had escaped from their fence. Further down the road we stopped opposite Waihao Forks Hotel in a free carpark for the night. As we were finding an area to sleep Amanda bogged the van briefly which was a tad funny. We had some chicken salad for dinner and went to sleep.
    Read more