Satellite
  • Day 8

    The Great Wall (at Mutianyu)

    September 11, 2017 in China ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Up at 5.30am to see the Great Wall (with Intrepid Urban Adventures). Our tour group was made up of people our age this time (a couple from Miami, a Malaysian couple from Australia, and a guy from Michigan - though he'd been living in Japan the last few months). A 2 hour drive in a minivan out of the city. Quite nice countryside - chestnuts and fruit trees. Lots of green. Got to the wall early ish and avoided some of the crowds but still a few people around.

    Took a chairlift up to the wall (to save the steep 50min walk uphill), enjoyed the scenery in peace and quiet. Walked along the wall for a while. Great views and pretty awesome overall. Didn't realise the wall was on top of a hill slash mountain to make it easier to defend. Would have been very impressive in ancient times (although without the trees growing next to both sides of course).

    Bit steep in parts and was good exercise but worth it. Parts of the wall we were there alone which was awesome. Very much enjoyed it.
    Then took toboggan down - had to keep slowing for a woman in front of me who was busy taking selfies (Radi wanted to go faster). But was heaps of fun when you got up some speed. Fantastic way to get back down.

    Then went to a restaurant and a had a big delicious feed. Followed by another 2 hour trip back. Interesting driving. Good to see a bit more rural - big change from the urban area.

    Walked and took subway back. Went into a random supermarket hidden down some steps. Found pineapple beer which will try later. Then time to relax a little!
    Read more