Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Bananallama

    July 6, 2021 in England ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    Another of our favourite walks is the Newlands valley circuit, taking us south-west past some disused lead mines and a distant view of Catbells. This is followed by another exquisite tiny church near Littletown. On the way back we pass a field of llamas, to be reliably advised that they differ from alpacas not just for being bigger but for their banana-shaped ears. No walk is satisfactory without a stop for tea, nor is it complete without a beer or three at the Swinside Inn!

    The following day takes a bus ride south to Ambleside and a connection to Skelwith Bridge. From there it's a short climb to Colwith Force in deep woodland. Emerging into farmland, we spot these carvings on the side of a barn; the most likely theory is they were used by a stonemason to try out his skills on headstones. Drinks follow at Elterwater and a walk over the top to Grasmere for some, or the bus there and then to base for my blisters and me.

    7 days, 6 hikes and over 20 pubs later, it's time to pack up for another year. Keswick pub of the week? The Wainwright, with an accommodating guvnor who frees up the table next to the core party to allow late arrivals from our group. Outing of the week: the Kirkstile Inn, on the remote Loweswater, with beers of the same name and a nice private room for dinner and our quiz. But signs of the continuing effects of Covid are that the Agricultural Arms in Penrith is short-staffed and can't open much before midday, although they look after us well when they do. And a reality check: during the week it turns out that the infection rate has soared to twice that in London (mercifully it's plummeted again as I write this).

    Anyway here's to 2022, which our group organiser reserves within a week of our return.
    Read more