Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 10

    Girona - crazy Roman festival!

    5 April 2023, Sepanyol ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    I love it when you arrive in a new town and the Romans rock up with a massive display in your honour 🤪

    We found our Airbnb close to the station - a stylish apartment belonging to Flori and Joan: their English was as non-existent as our Spanish, but it was all smiles….so once our bags were sorted, we set off to explore the small but beautiful city.

    We soon discovered a City Wall you could walk, so up we went. It dropped down near the Cathedral, a Game of Thrones location for those interested, only to discover something of a buzz….a few Police around, people appearing to gather.

    Soon, Romans began to emerge from a church, and we suddenly found we had arrived on one of two evenings where a Legion of around 150 Roman Soldiers march through town as part of their Easter celebrations 😎

    It started with a few….then a few more….then those mounted horses, and suddenly the square was full of them!

    Utterly bizarre yet absolutely fascinating.
    We followed them through the narrow streets, then watched some marching displays in a square: very impressive.

    After a while, we headed back to a boujee little restaurant we had spotted earlier in the tiny streets.
    There, we found a Senegalese fella, Denis Singuila, was playing and singing, and soon I had a djembe thrust in my hands, joining in. Turns out our small audience of diners were doubling as percussion.
    Slightly pleased that he felt I had “skills”, it made for a fun meal!

    Later, we heard the Romans returning, which was quite a sight late in the evening in the tiny streets!
    Baca lagi