Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 72

    Paul Crouzet Primary School

    November 8, 2018 in France ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    Yesterday, Malcolm and Geoff left the apartment at 0700h (7am) for the small town of Prades Le Les which is an hour-and-a-half long bike ride away. We met with Mme Nathalie Nagot, a primary teacher from Paul Crouzet Elementary School. Mme Nagot teaches a CM2 class (4th grade) with 27 students. She teaches all the subjects to her class except for science and social studies. The children are beginning to learn English, which they enjoy. We learned that the kids are at school from 9am to 5pm with a two and a quarter hour break from 12:00 to 2:15 and two 15 minute recesses, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. On Wednesday, they don’t go to school, they do activities like sports or clubs at a community centre or they stay at home. Their school year consists of six weeks of classes followed by two weeks of holiday, with a longer holiday in July and August. We did a presentation about Canada for the kids and showed them what schools are like in Canada. The classroom looked similar to our classrooms, maybe a little smaller, and the children sit in rows. When the teacher is looking for ideas, she asks a student with their hand up to answer, then that student chooses another student in the class to answer and so on. The school has a cafeteria but no gymnasium. Gym classes are held at a nearby field. The schoolyard is quite small compared to our schoolyards in Canada, but the children seem to enjoy it. After the school visit, Malcolm and Geoff ate cake and baguette and biked home to Montpellier.
    - Malcolm and Geoff
    Read more