Satellite
  • Day 65

    Paris - Notre Dame etc

    October 4, 2015 in France ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Went on a walking tour around Notre Dame, which really made the place come to life more than the (many) other churches I've seen at this point. I especially liked the little demons depicted (#2) showing the punishments of hell / rewards of heaven (this was helpful for the illiterate townsfolk who couldn't read the bible).

    We also saw the famous lock bridge nearby. I can see why they're cutting those locks off - they're 4 deep in many places! I quite liked the graffiti on one end of the bridge too :D (you're gonna need a lot more keys, Link!)

    On another nearby bridge we came across some fancily-dressed, mostly older people doing rollerblading tricks. I took some videos here: https://goo.gl/photos/g9fsGojUiB6UvGyS6

    We then went to find the "best ice cream in Paris/the world" (Berthillon) which turned out to be just ok IMO.

    We went on to see the Pantheon building, which was just another big impressive building (no tour commentary to give context, and it was closing by the time we got there anyway). Fine, we decided to go somewhere a bit different and see the Catacombs of Paris (open late so we had plenty of time). Upon arrival: "sorry last entrance is an hour before closing time, and it's now 57 minutes before closing time". Ahh, Paris.
    Read more