Satellite
  • Day 10

    All good things.....

    June 3, 2017 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    It's Friday....last day aboard MS Polarlys which means we have several procedures to follow. Suitcases are packed so on our way to breakfast, we drop them off at the elevator as requested. After a bite to eat, we finish packing up our "cabin" and vacate it by 10:00 a.m. Our final destination is Bergen but not until 2:30 p.m. To say the least, we have some time to kill.

    We plant ourselves on deck 7 in the comfy chairs. Deck 7 offers great views but is a tad warmer than other decks. As a result, it is very difficult to sit in the comfy chairs without falling asleep at some point. I continue to bat 1000 in that category !! By the time I come to, it is time for lunch which will be our final meal on board AND our last chance to sit with Aussies Darrel and Jennie and break bread.

    We arrive at the dining room only to discover that someone is sitting at our table. We are appalled. 😧 The hostess tells us it is "open seating". We say hello to the Aussies and can tell they are disappointed....especially given the gentleman at our table speaks no English. Jennie eventually finds us elsewhere and we all agree to meet up after lunch. The remainder of our time on board flys by as we share more laughs with the Aussies.

    We arrive at Bergen....despite more drizzle, it looks lovely. As we enter, we spot a large cruise shop docked. It is a "Costa" ship and I remind all that it was the "Costa Concordia" that ran aground in Italy a few years back. We share a chuckle at the former Costa Captain's expense.

    As we slide into port, we notice that our ship has turned 180 and is backing in !! A glass office tower along the dock provides a great reflection for us to follow the ship's progress. Yesterday, I watched from an outer deck as we docked in Kristiansund. It is truly amazing what the ship's crew can do when "driving" this behemoth.

    Soon, disembarkation begins. Passengers are called based on which deck their cabin was located. It is time for hugs and handshakes with our new acquaintances...and not just the Aussies. We miss connecting with Vermont but do hook up with California and Virginia. The Aussies are flying to England to see their daughter. California and Virginia are taking the train to Oslo. Vermont will take the Oslo train on Saturday and then fly home. As for us.....we are the only 2 on the highway bus that has been arranged for passengers transferring to the airport. The first bus filled up before we finished saying goodbye to the Captain and First Mate. We get dropped off at the airport which is a 50 yard walk from our hotel. We had hoped to return to the city to sightsee but we are further from town than we imagined and it is raining. ☔️Call it a day....hunker down and set the alarm for 3:45 a.m. The first of 3 flights for us leaves at 6:00 a.m. Bergen to Copenhagen to Reykjavik to Toronto.

    Been quite a month. Iceland and Norway.....many towns and cities and none that either of us can pronounce save for Oslo !! Lots of WOW days....lots of photos.....rejigged list of "where to next time" and the reality of going home.

    Would we do it again? Probably "no" to 🇮🇸 but could see a driving tour of 🇳🇴 and some neighbouring Scandinavian countries. Nothing against Iceland....we covered sooo much ground that there isn't much reason to return.....other than to that F**king mountain between Egg Salad Store and Save This 4 Door so I can conquer it in non-snowy conditions. 😎

    Time to say goodbye to 2 beautiful countries. They are very unique in their own individual way. We loved both of them.

    👍

    Pics....various "selfies" from Iceland....we forgot to take some in Norway !
    Read more