Satellite
  • Day 14

    Day 14: 1010 steps up to the Dharma Cave

    June 11, 2017 in China ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Awoke to the sound of cockerels crowing - definitely not in York anymore.
    Misplaced room key - Emma was convinced Gill was first in last night. Key inexplicably turns up in Emma's leggings pocket.

    Hiked the 1010 steps over 2000km elevation to the Dharma cave at the top of the Song Shan mountain. Incredible views and worth the sweat, heat, and in Gill's case altitude induced panting and vertigo. Despite almost collapsing on the way up Gill was pleased to make it to the top to enjoy the views. Emma was impressed with Gills resilience and we sourced some local honey to help Gills raging sore throat.

    On the descent viewed the pagoda forest where the ashes of 250 of the highest and most respected monks are buried, and visited the 1500 year old Shaolin Temple, comprising of many architecturally beautiful and colourful buildings / shrines.

    Finally saw another show of Shaolin Kung Fu. It was very different to our intimate performance yesterday, with over 300 spectators, lights and music; though the same traditional weapons and routines. Emma was not phased by the crowd, and shot on stage to battle it out with two others to mirror their respective mentors. Emma's moves (and roll) in tiger style won over the audience, and she was very happy to win a DVD of the show!

    Back to the guesthouse for yet another delicious meal before packing for our night train to Beijing.

    Gill & Em x
    Read more