Satellite
  • Day 18

    Day 18: Strolling in the Beijing sun

    June 15, 2017 in China ⋅ ⛅ 38 °C

    Spent a lovely morning exploring the Temple of Heaven. We braved the roads again to cycle there and back along cycle 'paths' as wide as our roads running alongside the 8 lanes of traffic. A thrilling way to get around!

    Really enjoyed strolling through the surrounding park, which was equipped for the health and well-being for the 'aged population'. New special interest in gerontology....seriously considering introducing the same in museum gardens when we qualify! There was space for dancing, aerobics, tai chi, card and board games, a musical area, knitting and crochet...bringing people together to enjoy or spectate. Very OT.

    Beijing hostel our least favourite so far - bit of a dingy building site, poor food, damp laundry - glad we got out to make the most of our limited time in the capital. Enjoyed a typical Beijing lunch of noodle platter and walnut chicken, followed by a relaxing wander around the immaculately clean centre adorned with lanterns, engraved stonework and brass statues. Escaped the heat and stopped for a delicious iced tea where we nattered and watched the people and trams pass by.

    Health update: Gill finished course of little green pills, which have also turned her pee radioactive green colour and may be the cause of her new chesty cough ailment. Emma sneezing more then usual, but determined not to get ill! No more bug bites. Gill loving new UV umbrella - no sunburn!

    Beijing central station is huge! Like an unfamiliar crowded Kings Cross, and luckily we could say goodbye to Peter after we were safely on the correct train. Another night train tonight, 14 hours then we'll be exploring the bamboo forests of Moganshan.

    Gill & Em x
    Read more