Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Namib Desert

    May 17, 2023 in Namibia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We arrived in Sesriem on the edge of Namib Desert. Once we checked into the accommodation we realised that there was something wrong with the truck as it wouldn't start again. The plan for the following day changed as we had to get taxis into the park while our truck was being repaired.

    The taxis arrived at 7:15 and we headed to Dune 45. Dune 45 is named as it is 45 kilometers from the edge of the park. We got our exercise work out in as we climbed up the ridge of the 150 meter dune to the top. We had a lovely view of the other dunes around us and the shadows from the sun made the dunes look beautiful.

    We then drove to Dead Vlei which is another part of the park. This area was supposedly a river bed 5 million years ago but the river bed dried up leaving dead tree trunks remaining. We hiked inland in the hot dry heat and we're not disappointed when we spotted the trees. The contrast between the black trees and the scenery around us. These trees were also located beside the tallest dune in the park. This dune is called "Big Daddy" and it is 310 meters high. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to climb this dune as it takes about an hour to reach the top.

    Once we returned back to our camp we were hoping that the truck was repaired however the starter was completely broken. The mechanics removed the starter and somehow was able to get the truck going by pushing it to get movement and then the truck started. For the next two days we will have to push the truck to help to get it started until we are in Swakopmund and hopefully they will have a replacement starter part. As Crispen our tour guide said "this is the unexpectedness of traveling but there is always plan B, C and D".
    Read more