Satellite
  • A Walk on the Shore of the Mondego River

    February 23, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Today we were in the mood for a long, flat walk on the shores of the Mondego River. The city of Coimbra was built on this river and has always been an important part of its inhabitants’ lives. The beauty of its banks has inspired many generations of students and poets. When we saw the river, it was calm and peaceful, but we have read about how it can become quite dangerous after big rains, flooding even the most important buildings.

    Located on the right bank of the Mondego closest to Coimbra, there is a green park with a large outdoor café area that is built on a wooden platform above the river. This park has four kilometres of pedestrian walkways and bicycle paths which pass bars, restaurants, a playground, temporary exhibit spaces and a Water Museum.

    On the left bank of the river, a big sandbox was built so that people can play beach volley there. There is a small skate park, playgrounds for kids, a picnic area and four pavilions for water activities. You can rent a boat, a canoe, pedal boat or even go on a barca serrana ride. Barca serranas were traditional boats which used to carry clothing from washerwomen along the Mondego River.

    We sat on a bench and watched all the Saturday morning activities going on. So many people were out and exercising. Every age and shape and size of people were doing their thing. It was awesome!
    Read more