Satellite
  • Day 22

    Borobudur and Prambanan, Java

    October 14, 2014 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We got up early again today (read 3.30 am) to see the sunrise above the famous Buddhist temple of Borobudur. We weren't as successful as last time since it was pretty cloudy. But it wasn't quite as cold as last time, relaxing 25℃ at 4 which turned into 32℃ by noon with the sun pretty much at its zenith.

    The view from Borobudur (built round 780 and abandoned not long thereafter) was still quite spectacular. You look from between the Buddha statues hidden in stupas on to the surrounding landscape - mountains and the valley - still veiled in mist. Great atmosphere, especially with the audible roosters from the surrounding villages! Don't know if the pics can really capture that - obviously not the sound.

    After that and a really spicy breakfast for 1 Euro per person our group of 4, us 2 and the Dutch couple from cooking class yesterday, moved on to the Hindu temple of Prambanan. Built around 900 to overshadow Borobudur in its greatness. Didn't quite workout if you ask us, but still pretty great. Also, it was heavily damaged by the massive earthquake in 2006. They are still rebuilding as you can see.

    Now, to get cap off our time in Yogjakarta, we are going to have Yoga class. Let's test Karsten's flexibility!

    P.S. We are hopping on a plane to go to Sumatra tomorrow. We are landing in Medan and will go straight to the village of Bukkit Lawang, which is basically in the jungle. So we don't know how the internet connection will be. So you might have to wait to read our posts until we are in Kuala Lumpur. We apologize for any inconvenience.

    P.P.S. 3rd picture upon request.
    Read more