Satellite
  • Day 86

    Kong Lor

    December 17, 2014 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    We had planned on hiking extensively in this region but we had to cut our visit to central Lao short in order to get to Vientiane. There we are now, standing in line and waiting in halls cause Claire needs a Thai visa if she wants to enter by land and stay longer than 15 days - which she does.

    So we had only time to visit THE attraction in Lao, the Kong Lor Cave. You rent a boat with up to 3 people, put torches on your head - makes taking pictures difficult - and drive into the 7 km long cave through which the local river runs. After being awed by several giant rooms you get off the boat and can walk through an area where the stalakmites and -tites are illuminated. Then you get back into the boat and drive for another 40 minutes to get to the end if the cave. That thing is just gigantic! There are rapids in the cave through which your captain has to steer. At one point he headed full speed right towards a wall just to rip the boat into the right direction at last second. Like this he had enough speed to get the boat literally up a stoney step.

    The most beautiful thing is when you get out of the cave n the other side and get stunned by the landscape again. Definitely worth a visit, this cave!

    On the way to the capital a little girl in the bus was just constantly puking for like 7 hours. And then she just dangled a clear plastic bag full of barf from the hanger on her seat for everybody to see. Lovely!
    Read more