Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31–32

    Newcastle Waters to Daly Waters, Larrima

    May 7 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Stayed at "Newcastle Waters" in a smallish o/nighter with about 20 vans packed in. Up early this morning & on the road towards Daly Waters for breakfast.
    The drive was once again very scenic. Pink wildflowers and heaps of birdlife everywhere, because of all the water in low-lying areas near the roadside.
    Daly Waters is a treasure! So much history to read about WW11 and the pub is iconic! You'll see from the photos.
    Makes one realise how different our lives would be if it wasn't for our armed forces in and around Darwin. Also, what a big part the aborigines played in our fight against the Japanese. One country, one peoples.
    On to Larrimah, which is also the place of the Pink Panther! Bought a pie & sausage roll for lunch later on ( supposed to be famous! ) They were pretty good.
    Got to Mataranka in time for morning coffee. Lovely bush park here at Bitter Springs ( birds are amazing ). We have just come back from a couple of laps of swimming with the current down the springs. Had a noodle each & I had my goggles. 33° water, and it was lovely.
    It's quite warm here today 30°, and we're sitting around in our wet bathers!
    Read more