Satellite
  • Day 7

    Match Report 3

    February 16, 2017 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    In our third match, against Bishops Academy, we were once again privileged to play a 25 over game in the valley of picturesque mountains. Given our last two results, there was some frustration within the team. However, we were determined to put on a strong performance.
    Having won the toss for the first time this tour, captain John Oliver opted to bat on what looked to be a nice wicket to be bat on. Unfortunately, this judgement wasn't entirely true, as openers Heginbottom and Khan not found when they fell to deliveries which stuck in the surface. The rest of the top order fell due to similar reasons, and many dismissals were very soft. The innings finished on 76/10 - courtesy of a brave counter-attacking 15*(22) from Adam McMurray - after 20 overs, and disappointed as we were at being unable to bat the full 25, we were confident our bowling attack could defend the score.
    Captain John Oliver opened with his own seam and swing, but inventively decided to use Percival's lethal leggies to get rid of the opposition top order. Unfortunately, whilst Oliver's tactics and a high intensity in the field threatened to cause an upset for the first 5/6 overs, the opposition comfortably chased the runs with many overs and 9 wickets to spare.
    Overall, it was a tough day in the field and we came out on the wrong issue of the result. That is not to say that there weren't positives in the field. Arman Khan pouched an extremely difficult wicket, diving at midwicket. In addition, fielding had generally improved, but nonetheless, we hope for a better result in our last game vs Newlands XI.
    After the Bishops game, we got to see one of their senior teams face an English county under the lights: a brilliant experience.
    Read more