Satellite
  • Day 21

    Community Day with Gleision

    August 4, 2015 in Japan ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    Waking up at 5am and being typically inches from being late we, Gleision, embarked on our 3 hour journey to our first activity. Due to our hour long toilet breaks this took its toll but still we were all either quaking in our sweaty shoes or extremely excited for...THE BUG DOME!

    On discovering The Giant Japanese Killer flying scarab, Jon the fearless ran miles. Quickly followed by the rest of the patrol out of the frying pan and into the fire, or in this case out of the bug museum into the open air exclosure, where we met marvels next big blockbuster, Beatle Boy.

    As we attended to Adam's constant barrage of exclamation due to the numerous Beatles defacating on his hat. An adorable Japanese boy walked in with his family instantly capturing what Japan is all about by donning a whole six scarab, a number of which but inches from his face. Of course watching the whole patrol jump with fear, laughed and continued to laugh and enjoy the experience.

    After refuelling with salty chips from the local bug museum canteen, it was time to travel another ten minutes to the local town hall, where we appreciated a play to God's depicting a story from Japanese mythology. Orochi, eight headed snake had killed all but one of their children after plotting with princess the brother of the Sungoddess poisons the snake with a poisoned stake. Once defeated the beast retrieves the Treasure Sword of Heaven from the tail.

    On giving this sword to his sister he accepted back into heaven and got the princess.The accompanied by percussion and traditional Japanese singing it was a very gripping experience.

    After a very filling launch we concluded our community day with multiple work shops at Hagi Junior School rounding from origami to traditional Japanese toys.

    Having truely experienced Japanese culture it was time to head back to the bus for our 3 hour drive back.

    Conor
    Read more