Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Austria

    June 28, 2016 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    After seeing up camp in Vienna, we had dinner at the campsite and headed to Prater, which is an amusement park. Entry is free, so you pay per ride/attraction. It was similar in size to the Red River Ex, but it remains in that location.

    We started off the next morning with a driving and walking tour of some of Vienna. Then we had some free time to explore and have lunch. The city has a really cool feel and it would be great to spend more time there. Apparently, it was named the second best city to live in, after Melbourne, Australia (a fact enjoyed by the many Aussies on the tour).

    They took the group on a tour of a schnapps museum... It was interesting, but the main focus was pretty clear - sample and buy. Moving on... We went to a famous castle, but they were setting up for a music concert on the grounds and we were somewhat limited in where we could go and what we could see. That said, a few of us walked to the side gardens and we're able to get some good photos.

    That night, we were taken to a Mozart and Strauss concert being held in the building where Mozart's first composition (he was six) was performed for Maria Theresa (first, and only, female member of the Hapsburg family to rule). There were only about 200 people at the performance and we were able to explore the building during the intermission.
    Read more