Satellite
  • Day 25

    Lumbini

    December 28, 2017 in Nepal ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    This morning I decided to hire a bike from my hotel. There are quite a few temples far from each other so I thought the best way to see is by bike. Again the bike wasn’t the most comfortable and it was a ladies bike - but it works so off I go.

    The first temple I visited was the Maya Devi Temple which is thought to have been the birthplace of Bhudda. I had to leave my shoes at an outbuilding which was fine, I’m not at all religious but I respect it. The problem was that the floors were damp and muddy which made just walking a problem.

    I went inside the temple to be told “queue there”, at first I couldn’t understand what was happening but after 10 minutes of queuing I could see it was a prayer line which simply isn’t my thing so I left.

    I was riding from temple to temple but it all seems very disorganised, I kept being told to get off my bike and walk at certain points although there are no signs etc.

    At one point I was deciding where to go and a group of guys were walking towards me, I though I was going to be mugged but nope, they wanted s selfie with me, I since found out that they love photos with westerners, it’s cool.

    I checked out a few more temples and headed back to the hotel. The weather has been very miserable and I’m finding out quickly that I need to move onto my next place - Pokhara
    Read more