Satellite
  • Day 11

    Kenmare to Killarney

    August 18, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Well, today's hike, the last one of the Kerry Way, is not for the faint hearted. We had everything on the trail. Lots of rain, patchy at some times, sunshine (which is good, but it lasts only for a few minutes until the next shower) etc...

    The trail itself was pretty eay to walk, not too boggy. Ere were just three passages through rivers, that made the walk tricky. There was even one with a rope. But at the end, we managed them all.

    After a third of the trail, we joined the path that came from Killarney, the same we took a week ago when we started the Kerry Way. We made the same rest at Lord Brandon's Cottage. Just before the B&B. We had a week ago, we attacked the ascent to the Gap of Dunloe. It's a narrow montain passage to the otherside of Killarney. For us, this was a more direct route to where the hotel was located.

    The Gap of Dunloe is used by many jaunting cars with tourists. These are small carts with 4 passengers. They normally ride from Lord Brandon's Cottage to the Gap of Dunloe. Nice for families.

    From this point, we had only 5 km to make until our final destination and the end of The Kerry Way.
    Read more