Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 7, Taranaki Falls

    January 1 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    Happy New Year. And the sun was shining. There was still some cloud and rain about, but it didn't last long. We needed to drive to Taupō today so there would be no long hike. We elected to do one we missed yesterday did to the rain, Taranaki Falls. It's a short walk from the snow village. The sign says 2 hours, but it was really doable in 1.5 hours.

    Initially the surrounding volcanoes we're covered in cloud, and their was some drizzling rain about. The walk went through beech forests, then an open plain across which ran a number of small creeks. You could hear the waterfall looking before you saw it. Mostly because the route I took was to the top. It wasn't until I walked down a set of stairs the a rainforest that I was able to take in how powerful the waterfall is.

    You might sense a bit of a theme. I have a liking for waterfalls. They're beautiful, majestic and powerful.

    Sadly we left the volcanoes behind after the hike and headed to Lake Taupo. It's way larger than I thought. Like a mini-sea. Traffic in the city is chaos. There a story be the lake like Bondi. Crowded with cars and people there for the holidays. Or accommodation is one street of the lake, with views over the lake.
    Read more