Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 9, Rotorua

    January 3 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Today we drove to Rotorua on our way to Auckland. My son informed that Auckland had a strong aroma to it, so I was thinking maybe something quite outstanding. Turns out that yes it does, but it's not as bad as he made it out to be. There's definitely sulfur in the air, and it's strength depends on where you are.

    We visited two "tourist" sites. The first was village that was buried in mud in an eruption of the near by volcanoes (three of them) in 1886. The village was a place where European tourists in the 19th century would stay while visiting New Zealand's self proclaim 8th winner of the world - silca terraces on the side of the volcanoes. Half the village was in the style of European buildings . A hotel, general store, houses. The other half was Maori, as the guides to the terraces were Maori. In May 1886 all three volcanoes erupted, covering the nearby villages in ash and mud. Those nearby were covered in 30 metres of mud. The village was covered in 1.5 to 2 metres.

    The second was Te Puia. It's a cultural/thermal/school? It had the largest active geyaers in the southern hemisphere. It's also a cultural centre with a Maori village that holds Maori performances. We watched the Haka performed for the people who paid for the cultural experience. And there is a school to teach young Maori bone and stone carving, wood carving and weaving. They enter as apprentices with the hope that when they leave they return to their tribes and teach what they have learnt. Our guide was very knowledgeable, and very enthusiastic in what he does which made the visit very enjoyable.
    Read more