Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Lazy Day

    May 5, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Today's the day Greg and Patti leave Jayne and I home alone, as they go off to Melbourne near Orlando (3-4 hour drive away) for a family wedding.
    So some essential food shopping had to be done whilst we could get a lift to the supermarket. And that's where I saw my first Snowy Egret.
    Jayne and I then went for a walk along the beach whilst Greg and Patti had to work and pack for the wedding. We came across a Black Skimmer admiring the view and what looked like to be a discarded snake skin. This was; according to Google, a Whelk egg casing.
    Whelks lay their eggs in a long, spiral-shaped casing that can reach up to 33 inches in length. The strand contains up to 200 small pouches, and each pouch contains up to 99 eggs. The female protects the string of eggs by anchoring one end at the bottom of the ocean.
    Going for pizza and petrol with Greg I saw two Yellow Crowned Night Herons. The more defined adult and a brown coloured juvenile. On the golf course opposite the supermarket I finally saw a couple of Roseate Spoonbills. The most distinctive characteristic of the roseate spoonbill is its long spoon-shaped bill. It has a white head and chest and light pink wings with a darker pink fringe and very long pink legs. The roseate spoonbill is about two and a half feet in length with a wingspan of about four and a half feet.
    Then it was on to collect the pizza before rushing home and just missing the sun going down.
    Footnote - Gregg didn't get any petrol but I ticked off the Spoonbills 😅
    Read more