Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 15

    La Rochelle ➡️ 74 km ↗️ 80m

    26 de septiembre de 2023, Francia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Cumul: 801 km

    We park our bikes on the square and manage to breakfast and get some groceries for lunch: there is an organic bakery that makes pumpkin seed bread, which are rich in protein. An avocado, cheese, a liter of orange juice, bananas, 70% cocoa chocolate will cover the rest.
    We cycle around the bay but away from the ocean as it is mostly marshland. We find a bridge popular with fishermen who let us share the space for our picnic amidst fish scales, knives, gloves and blood splatters..
    The day is very hot and we choose to reach La Rochelle by the official itinerary by the canal instead of following the coast (which is very scenic with view on the Ile de Ré but there isn’t a single tree there and we feel we have had enough UV already).
    The road along the canal is pleasant enough and we reach La Rochelle’s beautiful train station area at 5pm. The vibe in this city is incredible and it hits the visitor right away. This is a 100% cycling city, like Amsterdam but under the sun, white stone reflecting the light in every direction like Lisboa, palm trees, a stunning medieval harbor, and sailboats everywhere.
    A happy place for stay over, though very noisy.
    The campground has its massive gate closed and we learn it has closed today at noon, unlike what the website still states . It is now 5:15 and the next step would be Fouras which we like very much but 27km away.
    We decide to indulge in a hotel that has secure parking for the bikes, right in the center.
    How to describe the pleasure of a good shower and a good bed??!!
    The hotel is lovely and we stroll around in the busy streets for a glass of local aperitif and a warm meal.
    Leer más