Yukon Holmes Travels

Joined May 2017Living in: Whitehorse, Canada
  • Aug8

    Arrive home

    August 7, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    We had a very long day. Caught our plane in Zurich at 7am after getting up at 4:30 am. Kim and Bob went to Steamworks in Vancouver for lunch and then to the Mountain Equipment Coop to look around. Kim left for home on the 99 bus and Bob hung out at YVR. Bob was home and in bed around midnight.

  • Explore, what other travelers do in:
  • Aug6

    On to Zurich

    August 6, 2018 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    We woke to the sound of bells which ring loudly every 15 minutes here. We had a nice breakfast in Grächen and said goodbye to Gwilym and Geoff who were driving out that morning. We walked around a little and came across a neat little cemetery with everything in rows behind the church. Lots of things are very well maintained, organized and well laid out in Switzerland. Kim bought a souvenir Grächen shirt. We then caught our bus and trains and got to Zurich around 2 pm. We found our hotel and then walked around the downtown streets and railway station. Everything is too expensive here. We are back in our hotel now and will just hang out til bedtime. We leave tomorrow on the 7 am flight.Read more

  • Aug5

    Back to Grächen

    August 5, 2018 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    We stayed at the Hotel Tannenhof last night. Kim recognized the hotel that our family stayed at years ago and had a flashback at breakfast. We had breakfast in Zermatt and said bye to Severine and Hamish who were heading home today. Geoff, Gwilym, Kim and Bob then started walking towards St Niklaus. It was a long walk and very hot. We stopped along the way at several places. While walking through a village we saw a bin of free apples that had been left out for travellers. It was nice as we were tired and thirsty. Eventually we reached St Niklaus and then caught the bus up to Grächen where this whole trip started nine days ago. The four of us had a nice dinner and are getting ready to leave for Zurich tomorrow.Read more

  • Aug4

    Down to Zermatt

    August 4, 2018 in Switzerland ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    We left our hut at 8:30 am when Livio our guide arrived. We had lightening last night but no thunder and teeming rain. We roped up and walked down a snowmachine track which is built on the Theodule Glacier. There were crevasses but safely away from us. The snow was slushy and lots of water was running. The Theodule glacier and pass was used as a route in the past when there was no ice present. We unroped at the bottom and hiked towards the Matterhorn with spectacular views of it and Monte Rosa. Kim collected some rocks at the bottom of the Theodule glacier to bring home as souvenirs. As we were walking towards the Matterhorn we had flashbacks to the time we were there previously. The glacier that Val had touched on our previous visit (7-8 years ago) seemed to have retreated several metres. When we arrived at the gondola lift we headed down to Zermatt and checked into our hotel. At the museum in Zermatt we saw an old sword that archaeologists had discovered at the Theodule glacier from a traveller passing many years ago. At the museum we also saw old hiking equipment artifacts. It was neat seeing the advancements in this equipment (water containers, boots, crampons, ice axes, and hats). Tonight we are eating together. Anne left to go back to Paris and Severine and Hamish are leaving tomorrow to go back to the UK.Read more

  • Aug3

    To the Refugio Guide del Cervino

    August 3, 2018 in Italy ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    We left Refugio Ferraro at 6 am as Hilary needed to get home. We walked up through a beautiful valley and over Alpe Mase (2400 m). After a lot of climbing we came to a view of the Matterhorn from the Italian side. Cervinia the townsite was far below in the valley. We caught the gondola to the Refugio Guide del Cervino and will be staying here tonight. Tomorrow we go down the mountain to Zermatt.Read more

  • Aug2

    To Resy

    August 2, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    We had a very nice morning with brilliant skies and very clear air. The mountains looked really close. We spent the morning walking up to Col della Salza (2890 m) and then down to Stafal where we had drinks and lunch. We then took two lifts up to Colle di Bettaforca at 2672 meters. We then walked down to the Resy hut. There was some ugly construction of a reservoir along this portion. The hut was crowded but we were able to have showers. Some mosquitos appeared and a few people were a little bitten sitting outside.Read more

Never miss updates of Yukon Holmes Travels with our app:

FindPenguins for iOS FindPenguins for Android