Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Off the Ring of Kerry: Staigue Fort

    June 24, 2019 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    A short detour off the Ring of Kerry took us to an old fort that I had read about when I was researching our trip — the Staigue Stone Fort.

    The fort is described as being “… one of the largest and finest stone forts in Ireland.” Thought to have been the home of a wealthy landowner or chieftain, it is believed to date back to sometime between the 3rd and 4th centuries … before Christianity came to Ireland. The circular wall is nearly 20 feet high and over 13 feet thick. Built without the use of mortar, it encloses an area that is nearly 100 feet in diameter. None of the structures that would have been within the walls have survived.

    Considering its off-the-beaten-path location, I was surprised at the number of people at the fort. Not that it was really crowded inside … maybe 10-12 people all told. I climbed up the unique steps — built into the inside of the defensive wall — that are a feature of these forts. I was hoping to get a partial panorama of the port without the other visitors. It wasn’t to be. The bonus of the climb? I managed a panorama of the scenery.

    This fort, thoroughly different from what we’ve seen in Ireland thus far, was a highlight of our day ... even if the weather did not cooperate with blue skies and sunshine.
    Read more