Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    ETİ Archaeology Museum

    October 16, 2021 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    After lunch with Işıl and Banu, Deniz, Mui, and I headed to downtown Eskişehir. The plan was to take a stroll along the Porsuk River and maybe go on a gondola ride … a la Venice. Unfortunately, it being a Saturday afternoon, we found the area packed with people who had a the same idea. Having to dodge clueless people blocking those of us wishing for a stroll … well, it was no fun. So, after a short walk, we quickly switched plans.

    We’d seen signs pointing to the Archaeology Museum, so we decided to hop in the car and go there instead. Our admission was covered by the MüzeKart, which has now not only paid for itself, but also saved us ₺50 in admissions. With our upcoming travels, that savings will continue to grow, so the card was definitely a good investment.

    The museum exhibits some 22,500 artifacts from the Neolithic, to the Copper, Bronze, Hittite, Phrygian, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk, and Ottoman Periods. The artifacts were all found at digs in and around Eskişehir and collected at this museum, which opened its doors to the public in 2011.

    Though this particular museum is smaller in comparison to other archaeological museums with similar exhibits that we’ve visited in Turkey, and indeed around the world, we enjoyed our time here. That there were very few others visiting while we were there made for an even better experience IMHO.
    Read more