Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Birecik’s Bald Ibis Introduction Center

    October 20, 2021 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    Leaving Zeugma behind, we crossed the Euphrates and entered Birecik, a city in the province of Şanlıurfa. Our destination — the Kelaynaklar Tanıtım Merkezi (Bald Ibis Introduction Center) — was a spur of the moment addition to our itinerary.

    The bald ibis is an endangered bird … not just in Turkey but around the world. The migratory population in Turkey was at one time found all over the southeastern region of the country. Unfortunately, now they are only found in the purpose-built nesting center we visited today.

    Apparently, the breeding adults are released in February-March to lay their eggs as they have always done in the nearby cliffs and birth their chicks. Afterwards, they return to the center. This birthing season was apparently a good one … 72 chicks were hatched, bringing the local population to 325.

    In the 1990s, when the population reached a given threshold, some of the adults were released for migration. Their trackers signaled their arrival in Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Northern Africa. Unfortunately, none returned and their fates are unknown. This year, another 15 have been released and are currently being tracked.

    Perhaps if we had not arrived at the same time as a big tour group, we might have been able to approach the the bald ibis for a closer look-see. As it was, we were kept at a distance and the birds were little more than black dots to the naked eye … even with my 350mm lens. Nonetheless, the information provided was interesting and I am glad that we made the stop.
    Read more