Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Jiggly Day at Sea … Again

    October 21, 2022, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ☁️ 66 °F

    Along the Coast of Portugal …

    Overnight, Silhouette must have sped through the Bay of Biscay as this morning we woke up to find the ship sailing south along the coast of Spain … with some 300+ NM left to reach Lisbon. The Captain had mentioned in a video interview last night that he was hoping for a patch of calmer conditions that would allow him to make some real headway after battling the rough seas during the day. Obviously, he got his wish.

    As for today … we still bounced our way down along the Iberian Peninsula. It was overcast once again when the skies lightened up this morning. At one point, the wind was so strong that the rain was falling horizontally across the front of our veranda. We did have a clearing of the skies in the afternoon — just like yesterday — but the wind was just too strong and too chilly for me to attempt to sit out today. Keeping fingers crossed that as we continue to make our way south, conditions will improve.

    Our daily routine pretty much followed yesterday … breakfast at the Grand Cuvée; indoor exercise by walking up and down the staircases and around the public spaces; lunch for Mui at the Oceanview Café while I abstained so as not feel to guilty when we have snacks at our private happy hour.

    I pretty much stayed in the stateroom reading and writing most of the day. Mui stepped out to check out the cooking demonstration at the Tuscan Grille … how to cook the perfect fish. Turns out the Executive Sous Chef, Halim … from Türkiye’s Black Sea Region, was doing the cooking. He is apparently the only Turkish crew member aboard Silhouette.

    Tonight’s dress code was what Celebrity now terms as “chic.” It allows those who want to dress up formally to do so. Others can dress things up a bit more than the smart casual that is acceptable on other nights … dressy jeans allowed. Our days of formal wear are long, long over. But we did get gussied up before venturing out for dinner at the Grand Cuvée.

    Chic night also means that there is a production show on the main stage. We missed the early show. Neither one of us was in the mood to wait around to attend the 9:00p show, so we returned to our stateroom after dinner. Might have been a good show … but I wasn’t keen on sitting in a darkened room very near the bow when the ship is dancing around as much as it has been this evening, so no regrets.

    Tomorrow we make land in Lisbon!
    Read more