Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    RTW Event: Essence of Argentina

    February 25, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 86 °F

    I must say that Oceania did a very good job with the logistics for the first off-the-ship special event for RTW passengers — which was billed as “The Essence of Argentina: A Contrast of Urban and Rural Culture.” Not an easy feat when you have nearly 400 guests to entertain.

    To get us to the event venue, we were grouped by deck, which I imagine they will rotate for the sake of fairness. We were in group 1 that was scheduled to meet in the Insignia Lounge at 4:30p … and also ended up being on bus 1.

    The event was held at La Rural Argentina, which was founded in 1878. It is the official venue for the annual farm and animal show, which is held in July. Our event was in one of the six pavilions on the property.

    Welcomed by two gauchos on horseback and several costumed pairs, we were offered glasses of sangria and wine as we entered the hangar-like space that was filled with round tables covered with white tablecloths. The vase of red roses in the center of each table added color and a formal ambiance. Along the perimeter were stalls where one could watch a puppeteer; dress up in tango accessories to have photos taken … or pretend to be tangoing with one of the dancers for your photo op. Tango lessons were also offered. The description we were given indicated that the festivities would start with an impressive equestrian show, but that did not happen for some reason.

    The food, by all accounts, was good and plentiful … and the beverages flowed freely. Service began with a plate of starters; the first course was something called matambrito … a special Argentinian cut from the center of a pork belly … grilled; the second course was prime rib; and finally dessert … consisting of a selection of mini sweet treats.

    The show that followed dinner featured gauchos performing with boleadoras, a leather and stone weapon of the Pampas that is used to catch runaway cattle by entangling their legs; singers; and of course tango dancers. At the end of the show, the floor was opened to dancing by passengers partnered with the tango dancers.

    We were welcome to stay and party, but when the announcement was made that the buses were ready, most decided to take their leave … including us.

    The departure was also well-organized. We did not have to return to Insignia on the same bus we came out on, so chaos could have ensued. Instead, there was a staff member at each bus, keeping count and directing passengers onto the next bus as soon as one was at capacity.

    It was a really great event. We had lots of fun.
    Read more