Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Launceston: Cataract Gorge

    February 1 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 75 °F

    After lunch at a place recommended by one of the staffers at the QVMAG, we headed off to the Cataract Gorge Reserve.

    The gorge — which is 65-million-years-old — can best be described as “urban wilderness.” An oasis in the midst of the city. One can walk to it from the CBD … a zig zag trail that I understand is fairly steep. We drove there instead … steep roads, too.

    The dolerite features of the Cataract Gorge — some 200-million-years-old — date back to the Jurassic Period … to a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Signage in the reserve explained that Tasmanian Aboriginals tell of ancestors who were transformed into stone monoliths. They, in fact, consider the boulders along the river to be sentinels who care for the area.

    I was hoping to see something like what was portrayed in the paintings I’d seen at the art gallery. Nope, nothing like it. The scenery was peaceful and beautiful, but I must admit that the swimming pool on the lawn was an eyesore … at least it was for me. I didn’t much care for the chairlift that stretches across the basin either. Just seemed a bit too commercial to me. But others seem to enjoy both of these features, so who am I to quibble.

    Having spent most of the day slow-wandering at the QVMAG, our feet refused to consider a long hike into the gorge. Instead, we followed a short trail to the Alexandra Suspension Bridge to cross the gorge and do the basin walk that encircles the water.

    Our visit took to the Gorge took an hour in all. Then, back to the hotel to rest up. Tomorrow we’re on the road again.
    Read more