Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 100

    Brisbane: Along the South Bank

    March 20 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 77 °F

    The weather forecasters promised a day of sunshine and blue skies. And they delivered. Heat and humidity accompanied this beautiful day from the get go … even though we got an early start.

    Brisbane is settled along the banks of the river by the same name. On our previous visits, we spent our time on the north bank and in the CBD. This time, we decided to head across the river to the suburb of South Bank.

    In addition to frequent ferry service that carries visitors back and forth on the river, a number of bridges span the meandering waterway. The one closest to us was the Kurilpa, so we made use of it to cross over.

    From signage on the bridge, we learned the story told Aboriginal children by their Elders about the origins of the river. Tradition has it that a serpent created the river, causing conflicts between the saltwater creatures and the animals on the land. As the serpent meandered through the countryside, it also battled the green frog and the sand goanna … animals that now form the mountains that can be seen from the Kurilpa Bridge.

    Once on the south bank of the river, we turned onto the Clem Jones Promenade, following the river downstream to enjoy the skyline views. That we stopped frequently to take photos goes without saying.

    Along the way, we passed the Queensland Culture Center — home to museums and the playhouse; swimming pools and manmade beaches. The Arbour — consisting of 443 curls of galvanized steel wrapped in climbing flowers — afforded us a shady, green respite … even if the colorful blooms were out of season.

    Eventually, we found our way to Mado, billed as the best Turkish restaurant in Australia. Familiar with Mado — a chain in Türkiye — we decided to have lunch there today. Good food … but is it the best in Australia? I guess we’ll find out after we dine at Anason in Sydney before we conclude our adventures Down Under.
    Read more