Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Accidental art connoisseurs...

    April 5, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    We returned to the hotel for some munchies and a nap in the mid-afternoon. This was particularly well timed - as we stepped through the hotel door, the heavens opened. I was acutely aware that even just lay on the bed my Fitbit was showing my heart rate as outrageously and unusually high, likely as a response to Cusco lying 10,000 ft above sea level.

    As darkness fell, we pottered out to see the Plaza de Armas again. It was notably colder this evening, especially after the rain. Fortuitously, we found that all the churches in the square were freely open this evening, so we enjoyed seeing the Catedral and Iglesia de is Compania de Jesus and their golden interiors glittering in the night. We found a spot on the Plaza Cafe balcony to people watch and enjoy the local Coco tea, which supposedly also helps with the altitude. It also made a pleasant break from being encouraged in to restaurants or being sold hats, jumpers or paintings by street vendors.

    En route back to the hotel, we stopped in Plaza Regocijo. The Palacio Municipal was opened so we ducked inside to see what was about, and happened upon the opening night of a contemporary art exhibition, which we promptly gatecrashed; it was actually rather good. Over the road was the Chocolate Museum and we grabbed a flier for their chocolate workshop as we passed...that's tomorrow sorted!
    Read more